2009/03/05

DRUM MAKING

Someone asked me awhile back why I had not made pottery for many years, likebetween1991 and 2008! For a while, I couldn't really remember actually- but then it came back to me...
I had gotten into music . I had already been studying Sarod and Tabla..but when I moved to Vernon I became involved in the wave of drummers that had begun coming to give workshops. Dido from vancouver, David Thiaw as well. It came naturally to me, and I enjoyed it for many years..and made a few drums and other instruments as well.
I drummed for dance classes in Vernon and Calgary too,and lots of drum circles. After awhile I became interested in cello and slide guitar. .. as I wanted more tonality and melody.
The other day I wanted to get a drum for the kids, and I found an unused Djembe shell that I sanded up and varnished. Then I put a new head on, a thin see-through one ( I think it was a spare Sarod head I had ) and it sounds great.
I love making things! CRAFTIVISM!
The last 2 days I drummed with the kids classes at school,that was fun- they have a great bunch of drums but need to learn how to use them.
I remember my first set of drums was some kind of cardboard and paper kit a relative had passed along to me..and then my mom had put me into a bagpipe band,playing the tenor tom drum in parades around Alberta
and the Okanagan!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: