2009/01/20

THE REVERSE TRIKE EFFECT

I have enjoyed this bike for about 5 years now-riding year-round. It is called a "reverse" tricycle because it has only one wheel in the rear, and two in the front. I tried the typical Trike and I can tell you that they are definetly un-ridable in even slightly slippery conditions. This is because only one of the rear wheels is being driven by the chain, and therefore it has only half the tractiont..and even less when the trike wiggles from side to side..so it just slips all the time. And when one gets off to push, the rear wheel bumps on your legs as you push up the hill that you couldn't ride up either!
The two wheels in front and the driving wheel in the rear completely changes this-it becomes like a snow mobile withFANTASTIC traction- I find it less slippery than walking.
And you can carry lots of stuff, and the trike doesn't fall over when you get off. no hassles with stands. It will also pull a trailer easily. Going up a hill is easier than on two wheels- because you can go slow and won't fall over.
www.feetz.nl is a company that makes a folding one that could go right into a store like a shopping cart- or stroller.
I am trying to find a way to test ride one of those ones.
Years ago in 1972 someone invented one in Calgary and called it "The Canada Bike", for winter /year round riding...it took me 30 years to understand that by having the experience myself. I wish I could just give these away to folks around town...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: